Sunday, March 13, 2011

Gardening begins soon in Snowflake but first a trip to Europe.

I love garden fresh veggies and canning but I also love to travel. Spring break is next week and I am taking my husband and Dan Number 2 stepson to Europe and the UK. We have a total of 10 days counting travel time.  I am so ready for a break from teaching my beloved first graders.

We will visit Germany, Austria, Luxenbourg, Netherlands, France, London and Wales where the Bowens come from and where my 4 times Great Grandfather John Williams lived and died. His son James Williams the 1st was a revolutionary soldier. Our Bowen Line and the Williams Line actually come from some of the same towns and counties in Carmanthenshire Wales.
We will also visit some friends, Christian and Kerstin Fehring, that live in Bonn. I stayed with them last time I went to Europe in 1994. It will be fun to see them again. She said she is making us a traditional meal from Switzerland. It is called Raclette and is mostly cheese melted on an open fire on veggies. The recipe dates back to the 1200 sometime so it will be fun to try it since the Shields line does go back through the Reiderer and Sente line to the Swiss Alps.  To the town of Maeinfield to be exact. Which is the town the story of Heidi is from.
In Wales we will stay in a B&B called Pennylan Farm owned by Cathy and Dave Bowen, living near the town Monmouth, where the Bowen family came from. We will enjoy Paris, London and many castles. We will go to Anne Frank's house and the Van Gough Museum. I am looking forward to taking some photos with my new camera too.
 When I come back I will see my tulips coming up. We planted about 300 out front in the heart of our drive.  I am excited but for now I have Parent teacher conferences and a few more days of teaching. So for now I am still looking forward to being on vacation with Bart and Dan.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like the trip of a lifetime Nancy ... enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. It was so wonderful. I'll post pics soon.

    ReplyDelete